Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: Media Distribution Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gshewan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 March 2008 at 12:06pm | IP Logged Quote gshewan

Pricey41 wrote:
Downsides are its quite noisy and it wont play video ts files, so no streaming ripped dvd's

Pricey41, I spent a long while looking into software to rip DVD's (I hate to see a stack a DVD's in the lounge!) and finally settled with VideoReDo.

It allows you to rip a DVD, movie only, to a DVR-MS type file, which is the same format MCE creates when recording from TV - so guess what, it plays seemlessly on the 360!

It'll rip a movie in less than 20 minutes, average disk usage is 4GB per movie, needless to say I've got just under 2TB of movies!
Back to Top View gshewan's Profile Search for other posts by gshewan

bikerlad26

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

Hi guys dont know if this is going to help me or not.

but what i want to do is play a dvd on a disk not ripped and watch it in the lounge and the bedroom i have those power lan that pulg into the sockets round the house so all i would need im guessing is an old xbox (not 360)and that would go in the bedroom and then i would need a pc next to the tv that is running media centre and the xbmc thingy.

Then i would have to hack the xbox and hey presto it should work

Please could someone confirm this

Thanks

Chris

P.s or could someone tell me if there is any easier way of doing this thanks

Edited by bikerlad26 on 12 June 2008 at 9:52am
Back to Top View bikerlad26's Profile Search for other posts by bikerlad26

Pricey41
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote Pricey41

Not sure exactly what you mean. Are you wanting to watch the DVD upstairs that is actually being played from the DVD drive in the downstairs PC?

Hope that makes sense.
Back to Top View Pricey41's Profile Search for other posts by Pricey41

bikerlad26

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that
what I want is for 2 tv's or more to watch the same DVD from the one pc
eg lounge and bedroom so would I need an xbox 1 and xbmc or is there
a better way to do it

Thanks

Chris

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 5:25pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

XBMC probably isn't what you want (despite being fantastic) - as you'd have to start the DVD on each "client" seperately. It sounds (correct me if I'm wrong) that you simply want to "broadcast" the DVD, and have X receivers pick it up.

If this is correct, then look into wireless AV senders - plug a transmitter into a compatible output on the pc / DVD player - and connect a receiver to each TV that you want to view it on.

Then, by tuning the TV to the appropriate channel, you'll pick up whatever is being transmitted by the PC/DVD player.

HTH

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Pricey41
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Pricey41

I would go with an AV sender as well. If all you want is to watch DVD's it's a much simpler sulution and a lot less power hungry to.
Back to Top View Pricey41's Profile Search for other posts by Pricey41

bikerlad26

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

whoops better put the xbox i won back on ebay only paid £4.00 for it so not to bad still might go down the xbmc and get some av senders (anyone know what ones to go for)

Thanks

Chris

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:58pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Nothing to stop you using XMBC for other purposes - - it's just not ideally suited to what you requested here.

If you've already got an xbox for a bargain price, it's not going to cost much/anything to give it a go - - try it - you might be pleasantly surprised

(If you decide not to use it, I'll take it off your hands for £5 - giving you an instant 25% profit! - want a 3rd for dev purposes) (Harmony XBMC anyone??)

As for AV Sender recommendations - none from me - haven't used them - - anyone else have hands on experience?

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 June 2008 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote 

I have wired the house up with UHF co-ax, which if you use satellite co-ax is not too lossy (and is much cheaper than lots of AV senders). Using that I have:

1. SKY+ (Inc. hard drive)
2. Motorised satellite (Inc. hard drive)
3. DVD (Inc. hard drive)
4. All terrestrial channels

On six televisions around the house. All can command the Sky+, but I do have to walk to the lounge to put dvd's on - but then we tend to watch them in the lounge on the plasma tv anyway

I find the UHF distribution good enough for my old 32" philips crt which has been banished to the main bedroom, and all the other tv's are smaller than that, so no problem there.

So, for the price of 100m of satellite co-ax and a few plugs...........
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

bikerlad26

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

i have just thought of something does the pc need to be running media center in order for the XBMC

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

no, it doesn't. Mine happens to be running MCE, but all you need is a file-share to store your music/photos/films.

xbmc has lots of info.

Rob

bikerlad26

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

thanks rob

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 June 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

you're welcome

bikerlad26

Posted: 14 June 2008 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

Hi Rob or anyone else

Please could you confim what i would need to hack the xbox i have read some websites and it says i need a xbox (obviousley) a game called mechasult an action replay module and to download some stuf fon bit torrant (or somthing like that)

Please could someone confirm this also is there any good websites you could point me to to hack the xbox

Thanks

Chris

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 June 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

read xmbc.org as linked above, if it doesn't tell you on there, then a quick google will turn up everything you need.

the hardest part (which really isn't all that hard) is getting a copy of the latest binaries - as they're not *officially* distributed by anyone owing to licensing restrictions on the compiler - but again, google is your friend here.

Rob

bikerlad26

Posted: 23 April 2009 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

Rob Iles wrote:
(Harmony XBMC anyone??)

Rob sorry to bring this one up but i have a apple tv that i have hacked and now have access to boxee and XBMC and wondered how if you ever got on with adding Harmony to it

Thanks

Chris

Edited by bikerlad26 on 23 April 2009 at 3:32pm

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 April 2009 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Didn't get round to Harmony-XBMC - the platform was just TOO different - couldn't use the HarmonyAPI, so everything would have to have been through web calls - - and it just didn't feel right. Project shelved in favour of other (more realistic, if less "fun") tasks.

If anyone does make it work, I'd love to see it!

Rob

bikerlad26

Posted: 23 April 2009 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote bikerlad26

thanks for getting back to me Rob

Not one for me to tackle wouldn't have a clue where to start

Chris

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 April 2009 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

IIRC, Python Script is the language of choice for userland XBMC/Boxee stuff - - you might surprise yourself Go on - you know you want to

scrobbesbyrig

Posted: 10 July 2009 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote scrobbesbyrig

Ok I'll detail mine:

Router in hallway connected to PowerLine adaptor

Low Power Server in garage with 4 x 1.5TB drives running Windows Home Server.  Server downloads *ahem* "content" via bittorrent or usenet and then places it into correct folder structure.  The TV Shows are automatically sorted into Show\Season number\Episode folders and the Movies are all dumped into a Films directory which are then sorted with "MyMovies" plugin for WHS, which literally pulls down cover art and details of the film.

Lounge has both a PS3 and a low power PC running Vista Media Center.  The PC outputs a DVI signal for video, into an HDMI input of my Amp.  The audio from the PC is digital optical signal into the amp too.  Simply selecting the Media Center option on the amp, selects the PC as the input, outputs the sound to all speakers, and the HDMI image to the TV.  The media center is controlled via the TV remote control (there's a media center hack to allow any smart remote).  I also have a Logitech DiNovo Edge bluetooth keyboard & mouse all-in-one for wireless surfing!

In the bedroom due to a distinct lack of available options for wireless HDMI senders, I have:
TV
Old Xbox running XBMC (Really hard to beat imho .. although PC version is damn good)
SkyHD
The XBMC connects to the garage server for any movies or TV Shows as appropriate.

Back to Top View scrobbesbyrig's Profile Search for other posts by scrobbesbyrig

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version