Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: AW12 installations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tony_park
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 20 August 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote tony_park

Hi Guys

I'm currently starting on my HA investigations, and looking to install some Marmitek AW12s - just not sure how they connect.  The circuit diagram looks nice and simple, except for 1 wire, which comes from the switch...

I'm wondering whether it can be installed behind the switch we have in place, and connected to the switch wire.  I will run this past our electrian when he comes round at the weekend.

We're looking to continue using the existing rocker switch, but install the AW12 behind and be able to control the light using the HA software.

Thanks
Tony
Back to Top View tony_park's Profile Search for other posts by tony_park

tony_park
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote tony_park

Ah, spotted it - theres a wire that goes in the side of the unit...

So, anyone got any experience of using these things?

Online Status: Online
Posted: 20 August 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote 

The obvious problem with AW12's is that they need a neutral in the wall switch box - something we don't normally have in the UK. That means a lot of work to add an extra wire.

I went for the V2 X10 "2 wire" ("2 wire" means they don't need a neutral wire) switches - For example, see Ebay item number 310162921861 for a 2 way dimmer. The downside of these is they won't work with the modern CFL bulbs
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

tony_park
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote tony_park

Hi Tim,

I thought our wiring had live, neutral and earth wires, although not necessarily at the switch.

How about installing the AW12 in the ceiling rose, there you have the live and neutral feeds, and can connect the switch to the terminals required?  Assuming of course, that you have a rose large enough to take the device.

Anyone any thoughts on why this may not work?

Thanks
Tony

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 August 2012 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Tony,

Ceiling rose wil have the required neutral, though as you suggest, space is likely a problem. Moreso, what will you do with the existing, wired, wall switch? If you're taking it out completely, no issues power wise, but you're 100% reliant on X10 for switching. if you intend to leave it in situ, keep in mind that it's likely to override X10 commands - ie if it's on, X10 can't break the circuit, or the other way round, depending on how you connect it.

Thanks,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Online Status: Online
Posted: 21 August 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote 

I guess fitting it in/close to the ceiling rose is an option, and you could from there still use the two wires that go down to the wall switch. This would be easy for upstairs lights where you can get at the top of the rose !

Rob may have a point though with the switch, as most of these hidden modules use a momentary switch rather than a standard latching type. I think the AW12 can work with either type, but what happens when you leave it switched in one position ? If nobody here can answer that, then maybe ask it directly with Marmitek.

Does anybody else have experience with these modules ?
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

tony_park
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote tony_park

Thanks guys :-)

We're fortunate, the light that I'm looking to use, has a landing above it, with some very loose floorboards, although I think the rose is big enough to take the unit.

Hopefully someone else can answer with regards to the switching - we can probably replace with a momentary switch if required, looks like some other websites have them offered, but reading the doc on the AW12, it would appear that both normal switches (latch type) and momentary can be used.

Thanks, I can see its going to be an interesting journey :-)

Tony

techno
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 21 August 2012 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote techno

Rob Iles wrote:
Tony,

Ceiling rose wil have the required neutral, though as you suggest, space is likely a problem. Moreso, what will you do with the existing, wired, wall switch? If you're taking it out completely, no issues power wise, but you're 100% reliant on X10 for switching. if you intend to leave it in situ, keep in mind that it's likely to override X10 commands - ie if it's on, X10 can't break the circuit, or the other way round, depending on how you connect it.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob,

You mention here that Tony counld be 100% reliant on x10 for switching.  Do you see this as a problem?  All of my lights are x10 controlled but with only 2 momentary switchs.  the majority of my light switches have been removed and plastered over using PIR sensosr and stick-it switches where required.

Thanks

David

Back to Top View techno's Profile Search for other posts by techno

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version