Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Bulbs
 Harmony : Bulbs
Subject Topic: Cost calculations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Online Status: Online
Posted: 17 March 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote 

I was telling a guy about the Philips Master LED lights I have been fitting, and he asked if I had done a cost benefit analysis. He believes that the cost of the bulbs totally offsets the savings in KWH

That's a challenge I couldn't resist, so let me introduce you to my first attempt in Excel.

What do you think ?
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

turbotimbo
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 March 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote turbotimbo

Hi Homer,

I've only has a quick look at it, but that's not bad. Your calculations seem to be basically sound and the variables are reasonable. All in all it does a pretty good job of showing the advantage of low wattage lighting.

I've saved a copy for future use
Back to Top View turbotimbo's Profile Search for other posts by turbotimbo

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 March 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi all,

The graph makes it quite clear that my bulbs pay for themselves within two years rather than the vague "5 to 6 years" that people were telling me. I did however get the bulbs at lower than normal cost from Ebay. These are 10W MR16 bulbs, and usually sell for £26 each (approx), but I have been picking them up for £15 each. Factoring that back into the Excel calculations, it still only takes 3 years to pay for themselves and its all savings from then on
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

SteveM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 March 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote SteveM

Just an FYI, I have recently redecorated my kitchen. In this I used all LED lights, both under the cupboard and LED sticky strips around the top of the cupboard to provide an “all room” light that bounces off white plastic soffit boards that cover the gap between the top of the cupboard and ceiling. In summary I have three lighting circuits to light up different parts of the kitchen (front and back), a set of down lighters over the 3 doors for easy of in an out of the kitchen and then the 4th being the LED stick on strips.

I also used two wireless RF switch to turn the lights on an off which are battery operated and can be fitted anywhere without cabling (gave me more cupboard space as I did not need a wall for the light switch so I could go right up to the door).

The lights are bright and although supposedly these did not dim, I have no problems with the solution I put together.

The place I used for most of this was http://www.simplelighting.co.uk/

Steve

Back to Top View SteveM's Profile Search for other posts by SteveM

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version