Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: Irrigation System Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SteveM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 April 2011 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote SteveM

All very quiet here, so thought I would impart some information regarding a project I have been working on, hope people find it of interest.

As mentioned in a previous topic, I have been looking to replace my irrigation system after the unit I purchased specifically for the function failed, so let’s use Harmony.

The requirement is;
a)     Control the water pump that provides water to the system, basic water pump specific to irrigation from a DIY store Irrigation Pump. Use a 24v to 240v relay to switch pump on and off.
b)     Install 24v control valves at key points to turn water on and off (at present in the Greenhouse and wife’s Strawberry plot) 24v Control Valves
c)     Connect the control valves to the existing Hozelock irrigation system. Hozelock Irrigation
d)     Use a specific X10 irrigation controller to switch the 24v circuits on and off Rain8 Controller
e)     An X10 controller to interface into the Rain8 system (this store provides both XM10 and Rain8) Rain8 and XM10
f)     Finally to interface Harmony to the ring main for sending X10 commands, a CM11 controller, already fitted.

Although Harmony does not officially support the XM10 device, I was pleased to see that is does work; although there are some error messages which I believe are due to it not knowing about the controller, especially as this is two way X10 controller.

So, the Rain8 and XM10 are connected by an RJ11 cable (you will need to purchase a 24v transformer to power the Rain8 device which in turn powers the control valves and relay).
XM10 is plugged into the ring main and the 24v control valves connected into one of the 8 zones.
The relay to control the power to the pump is also connected to one of the zones.

Each zone is controlled by a house code and zones, 1 thru 8 i.e. B01 to B08. (This system can be expanded by buying Rain8 expansion units)
Harmony is then configured by using scheduled events to turn each zone on as and when required, so at 19:00 zone N01 (greenhouse) followed by zone N08 (pump) are turned on and a couple of minutes later are turned off, and so on for each zone required.

So, I now have one less thing to do of an evening and the watering now looks after itself. Wife will be happy as she will have a large crop of Strawberries and my plenty brownie points

Steve
Back to Top View SteveM's Profile Search for other posts by SteveM

Online Status: Online
Posted: 18 April 2011 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote 

Thanks for that Steve,

Well done !!!
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

SteveM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 June 2011 at 8:50am | IP Logged Quote SteveM

Ok update on this little project;

Rain Sensor
Having tested some basic functions with the Rain 8 device (nice ) I have now started to get clever, this is normally where it all ends up in a mess .

A number of the irrigation requirements are external and with the current rain fall, not really necessary to water. So I purchased an Orbit Rain Sensor(up to 24v). This in effect is a switch which when it gets wet turns off the circuit and when dry turns on the circuit.

Then I purchased a SM10U to register the change in circuit on or off, which in turn sends an X10 signal back to Harmony.

You will also need a power supply (I have plenty of old transformers from mobile phones etc) and I used a 12v one connected to the SM10 and the sensor to complete the circuit.

On Harmony then define a device for the SM10 with the programmed X10 code, use this device then as a prerequisite to the watering events i.e. Sensor has to be on to allow watering.

Remote Controls
In addition, I have also provided my wife a couple of pre-programmed Remote Controllers and RF Controller with defined sequences set to specific X10 codes i.e. “I would like to water the Greenhouse now”, so press the No 1 button on the RC (set to P01) which starts the pre-configured Event in Harmony (RC Turn on Greenhouse Watering) - turn on water supply valve (N01), turn on Greenhouse valve (N02) and start irrigation pump (N08). It’s not the most responsive thing on three legs and normally takes about 5/6 seconds before the watering starts, but it works. Downside is the distance of the RF signal from the remote is not brilliant, so then need to provide additional RF Controllers at specific locations within the garden.

All I need now is to be able to have multiple BBSB Controllers to replicate the commands to cover the extended RF range required to be able to manage the water butt pumps, which water plants in their vicinity. (Would prefer to use BBSB rather than X10 devices as I have had problems sending X10 through all the consumer units I have).
All I need then is teh ability to have multiple BBSb controlers for Harmony, Rob?

Steve
Back to Top View SteveM's Profile Search for other posts by SteveM

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version