|Posted: 22 September 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged
Ok for those who are interested, update on progress;
1) Schedule 1/2 weeks, that went out of the window !!!
2) MC10 – primary purchased to program the LW12 units i.e. give them a house code etc, worked great!!!
3) LW12’s great, my patress boxes were deep enough to place this behind the switch and no neutral cable required.
4) MK Momentary switches, nice, little cheaper than the ones suggested by Homer (pleased the wife )
5) So in essence I can either use the momentary switches to turn on the lights (great for older relatives who still like switches), and nice ability to dim lights just by continue to depress switches or the whole lot controlled via Harmony.
6) Harmony controlling the lights via the programmed LW12 ………. BUT ……… and here are the issues
a. CM12U does not work yet via USB (not really had a chance to understand why with new drivers it crashes the PC every time I plug in the CM12 USB cable!!!!), so working off serial cable.
b. LW12 (i.e. X10 signal) only works a certain distance from the CM12, having looked at some of the comments on the forum it does not appear to be interference in my instance but more distance and potentially the multitude of consumer units (3) the signal goes through.
The issue I see here is that I could move the CM12 closer to the central consumer unit, but I would have to extend the command cable back to the operating PC running Harmony, either via serial (maybe over CAT5) or USB, or move the PC and CM12 nearer the consumer unit, not really practical as there is no space.
Again anyone with ideas etc, greatly received.