Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: Familiarisation Project Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SteveM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 August 2010 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote SteveM

To get me head around what Harmony can do before attempting the other initially planned projects, my intention is to build the PC running Harmony Installer and control a couple of lights in the lounge.

Anticipated kit to be used;

Harmony Installer

PC to run Harmony (spec to be defined) XP or Windows 7

X10 Controller CM12U

X10 MC10 Mini Controller

Micromodule LW12 X10 MicroModule Dimming * 2

MK Momentary Push Switches * 2

Time scale – around 1/2 weeks, starting this weekend, I hope

Suggestions/recommendations greatly appreciated on the undefined elements.

Back to Top View SteveM's Profile Search for other posts by SteveM

Online Status: Online
Posted: 08 August 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Steve,

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I use an old laptop for Harmony core, as I calulated that it would cost >£100/annum to run a normal pc 24/7.

I have never used a MC10, I tend to use KR22e rf remotes (Plus a HR10u remote) and a TM13. These have passed the wife acceptance test, and are in use all around the house. Harmony does the timed switching.

I haven't used the LW12 either (although I may in the near future); I went for this type of switch - two of which have worked well for over three years now.

Harmony is excellent for this type of switching. In my bedroom, I have two bedside lights using these modules, and a single version of the above wall switch. The ceiling light can be turned on by its switch, or all lights can be controlled by a KR22e or Harmony. In the morning, the two bedside lights come on (and these modules remember their last dim setting), followed by the ceiling light 3 minutes later. Timing courtesy of Harmony
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

SteveM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 September 2010 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote SteveM

Ok for those who are interested, update on progress;

1)       Schedule 1/2 weeks, that went out of the window !!!

2)       MC10 – primary purchased to program the LW12 units i.e. give them a house code etc, worked great!!!

3)       LW12’s great, my patress boxes were deep enough to place this behind the switch and no neutral cable required.

4)       MK Momentary switches, nice, little cheaper than the ones suggested by Homer (pleased the wife )

5)       So in essence I can either use the momentary switches to turn on the lights (great for older relatives who still like switches), and nice ability to dim lights just by continue to depress switches or the whole lot controlled via Harmony.

6)       Harmony controlling the lights via the programmed LW12 ………. BUT ……… and here are the issues

a.       CM12U does not work yet via USB (not really had a chance to understand why with new drivers it crashes the PC every time I plug in the CM12 USB cable!!!!), so working off serial cable.

b.       LW12 (i.e. X10 signal) only works a certain distance from the CM12, having looked at some of the comments on the forum it does not appear to be interference in my instance but more distance and potentially the multitude of consumer units (3) the signal goes through.

The issue I see here is that I could move the CM12 closer to the central consumer unit, but I would have to extend the command cable back to the operating PC running Harmony, either via serial (maybe over CAT5) or USB, or move the PC and CM12 nearer the consumer unit, not really practical as there is no space.

Again anyone with ideas etc, greatly received.

Thanks

Steve

Back to Top View SteveM's Profile Search for other posts by SteveM

Online Status: Online
Posted: 22 September 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote 

Well done !

I have never tried a CM11/12 with USB as I had already heard of other peoples problems. I believe Rob found some good USB drivers for his last CM11/12 though. Serial is good enough for me

My CM11 is in the garage next to the consumer unit, which did improve the X10 range around my house. There are X10 coupler devices for 3 phase consumer units, but I don't know if they will work with your system.

Once again, I use an old laptop in the garage for Harmony core, and that can easily reach the CM11. My Harmony CCTV pc then lives in the loft, but is controlled by Harmony and BBSB sockets.
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version