Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: Ceiling fan automation ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Online Status: Online
Posted: 27 May 2010 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote 

It's automation time again

I was thinking of fitting a ceiling fan/light in my upstairs pc room, and I see there are various ones with remote controls for around £70. Hmm, now how about Harmony control of one of the cheaper ones that don't have a remote control ?

Idea so far:
1. £30 fan from local diy shop.
2. Two appliance modules (or those small back box ones) in the loft (easy wiring !).
3. Harmony control of lamp and fan individually !

All I need then is per room temperature monitoring, so Harmony can switch it on when it gets hot, and off again as it cools down. Now, how can I do that

Any thoughts ?? Don't do's ??? Try it this ways ???? Did it but ?????
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 June 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Can't remember where, but I read recently about someone else having difficulty cooling the server cupboard down.

Tried a a kitchen extractor fan (is that the sort of thing you're thinking of?) - - and it barely made a difference - - approxed 1C drop (when ambient was 20C, server cupboard at ~50C)

The person who wrote the post/article (sorry - if I remember who you are/where it was published, I'll post credits!)....had a friend who was into Hydroponics. Apparently, Hydroponics suppliers will carry "proper fans" - designed to completly change all of the area in "rated" space, with in *designed timeframe* - - e.g. This - which isn't the largest or most expensive in the list, will move 750 Cubic Metres per hours, for £95!!!! I don't imagine it's the quietest device ever made, but it should keep the hot air on the move....just need to ensure a ready supply of cool air can be drawn in.

There ya go - that's my suggestion on server room cooling on a budget :-)

I won't make any BLANTANTLY OBVIOUS suggestions that the Harmony 1-Wire Beta (which is currently recruiting the last few members) would be ideal for per room temperature monitoring with Harmony

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Posted: 02 June 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote 

This is a single bedroom that I am using for our main pc's. Think long desks along one wall, with multiple monitors on top, and my wife sitting next to the radiator. She's asking me why it's so hot in the room. How hot is it ? I ask nonchalantly. "It's 25.5 degrees C according to the 1-wire sensor" she replies. What a woman. Marvellous.

I'm looking at changing the ceiling light for a large diameter fan with a light built in to it. The problems are:

• They tend to only have one 40w bulb in. Dimmm.
  • They tend to be quite deep, and this is a modern house with low ceilings.
  • I don't know if I can split the wiring for the fan and the light until I buy one. I then wire them to individual X10 appliance modules.

Unfortunately, the £30 fan seems to be out of stock every time I look for it, else I would risk it to look after the Missus

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 June 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Ah, sorry - I got the wrong end of the stick.

Think I know what you're looking for now. I'll keep my eyes open for anything that I think fits the bill.

Rob (27.5 in here, 23.0 in the bedroom - *click* that's the bedroom fan on )
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Posted: 02 June 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged Quote 

Ooh, how the other alf live eh ?

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 June 2010 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

In Harmony

Posted: 05 June 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote 

OK, I have found a small ceiling fan from a local DIY store, and sure enough it has the motor and the lamp wires available at the ceiling rose. Tomorrow will see the addition of an X10 wired appliance module for the fan only - the light can remain switched by the wall switch for now.

So, to answer my own questions:

• It was designed for a 40w filament bulb, so I have put in a CFL with an equivalent 60W brightness.
  • It was deep if mounted on the optional drop bar. I didn't use it.
  • I could split the wiring for the fan and the light.

Right, now for that 1-wire beta test

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version