Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: The projector room Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>

Online Status: Online
Posted: 31 January 2010 at 3:32pm | IP Logged Quote 

Picture this:

I walk into my lounge, which strangely does not have a tv in it, and say "Computer - Sky on".

1. The electric screen drops down from the ceiling, covering the windows.
2. The projector turns on.
3. Sky turns on.
4. The AV amplifier turns on.
5. The lights dim down (No CFL's here .

With me so far ?

This can already be done with Harmony, and will be my project this year.

Next, we have the forthcoming Harmony IR component:

"Computer - Channel 106" and "Computer - Volume 30%"

Marvellous. I've not had such a burst of imagination since I was a child

Hmm, I also have my motorised satellite system to bring in to this "Computer - Sky off" and "Computer - Manhattan on".

Now all I need to do is sort out the practicalities of it Well at least it will get rid of the multitudes of remote controls currently found on my side table
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 31 January 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Amazing how quickly imagination becomes reality isn't it!

As you say, 1 through 5 can already be achieved with existing components.

IR is coming online (restricted Beta) soon, so I'm sure yoy'll love to work on that.

As for the motorised dishes, do they currently operate under digital control, or is it a case of tweaking dials to home in on them (don't laugh - I've no idea!!)

If it's digital - dry contact output, job's a good one!

:-)

re:many remote, I've found myself using a (very) old sony receiver remote (for the STR-DB940 if anyone cares), to switch on TV, Amp, and set TV Input to MCE PC. It also has a volume control, but this is not often used.

"his n hers" MCE remote controls handle the TV/Scheduling etc. (Please, let there be a new version of WebGuide soon!!! are you reading, Doug?) ;-)

PIRs take care of "passing traffic" - enter the hallway, lamp comes on.

....sorry, rambling.

be interested to here how the sat dishes are controlled though.

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Posted: 01 February 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Rob,

After initial setting up of the motorised satellite system, its just another sequence of IR codes to choose a satellite and then a channel. Receivers nowadays use intelligent motors, and can calculate the position of visible satellites using the USALS system (Using your Lat/Long), so you don't even have the fiddle setting them up that you used to have. I've been installing motorised systems for myself and friends for around 15 years, and it just gets easier. Well, when I say easy, I have no instrumentation, and I have to guess where an invisible arc in the sky is to start it all off

Now didn't I read somewhere else that Doug had been pinched by MS and may not be doing WebGuide for Win7 ?

Computer - Off !   

Edited by Homer on 01 February 2010 at 7:00pm

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 February 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Cool - Harmony IR will be fine then. No need for the Harmony-Azimuth-Drive-Component! :s

MS employed Doug (and presumable purchased webguide at the same time), so that he could continue to develop it alongside their internal teams.

Whether that was just a spin on "buy him so he can't get in the way of our business model", or a genuine statement of intent, I really don't know.

I'll ask him - if his old email address still works!

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 01 February 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Well that was easy, from the website

"Note: WebGuide does not support Windows 7. Unfortunately, there are far too many changes in Windows 7 (and Fiji/TV Pack) that prevent WebGuide from being easily updated to work. Rest assured that the remote access scenarios WebGuide enabled are still near and dear to my heart and that I'm doing everything in my power to advocate for them across Microsoft."

cliffwright
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote cliffwright

Old thread I know . . . but have you tried Remote Potato Rob?

This is the ONLY reason I'd not upgraded my cinema room box to windows 7 - sticking with Vista purely to keep Webguide running . . . Remote Potato is crude by comparison, but does a good enough job of remote scheduling (which is the primary use for me) and renders OK on my iPhone too.

:)
Back to Top View cliffwright's Profile Search for other posts by cliffwright Visit cliffwright's Homepage

cliffwright
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 06 December 2010 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote cliffwright

Homer - how did you get on with your vision?

Did you manage the IR bit? That's the bit that interests me most.

I'd like to control, amongst others, my AV equipment - at the very least turning them off overnight.

How'd you get on?
Back to Top View cliffwright's Profile Search for other posts by cliffwright Visit cliffwright's Homepage

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi,

Well,

0. I now have Harmony voice component working in the lounge.
1. The 106" electric screen is now fitted and working electrically. It can be operated by toggling a 12VDC input, or with IR. It's presently being switched by the projector with the 12VDC input.
2. The HD projector is now fitted and working. It can be controlled with IR. What a fantastic picture !!!
3. Sky works with IR commands.
4. The AV amplifier works with IR commands.
5. The lights are all X10.

When the Harmony IR beta test starts, I will be sorting out the rest, as it will allow Harmony to control IR devices, and IR commands to control Harmony   

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Cliff - thanks for the link - I'll look into it.

I have you down for the IR Beta, so you'll get to "play" at about the same time as Homer and the rest of the gang

Cheers,

R.

Posted: 29 July 2011 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote 

Hmm,

I now have the motorised HD satellite as a PCI-E card in the HTPC, and have just ordered a TBS6280 PCI-E DVB-T2/T Dual Tuner Card for Freeview HD as well. Shame there's nowt on tv to watch

tony_park
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote tony_park

Hi Tim

Sounds like a good project - there are ways of getting a full blown sky system (less ppv) integrated into MC, if you're interested... 1000s of channels, and still nothing to watch

Is the IR module downloadable from anywhere?  I can't see it listed as a module or mentioned anywhere other than in these forums?

Thanks
Tony

Edited by tony_park on 10 August 2012 at 1:00pm
Back to Top View tony_park's Profile Search for other posts by tony_park

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 August 2012 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Hi Tony,
The IR Component has been delayed for numerous reasons. (again, my apologies to all testers). However, as of next Monday, I will be back in position to give it my all, and expect to make rapid progress.

This actually works out well for you! *If* you want to join the test group, you're welcome to do so - thus saving money & helping fine tune the Component.

If you wish to join send me an email and I'll give you details.

Regards,

Rob

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version