Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Bugs, Features and Wishlist
 Harmony : Bugs, Features and Wishlist
Subject Topic: MCE Interface Not Installed on Win7 Retai Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RalfyM

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 October 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

Anyone else got the MCE interface working on Win 7 Retail 64bit?  I can't see an install log but the install does not error so am guessing it's OK.  The start item is not registered in MCE.

Regards,

Craig
Back to Top View RalfyM's Profile Search for other posts by RalfyM

Online Status: Online
Posted: 27 October 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi,

I have it working on Win7 retail 32 bit, but can't comment on 64 bit.
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

RalfyM

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

Unless someone can tell me otherwise it looks like the MCE component and CCTV server do not work under Win 7 64bit.  I've tried things such as simple reinstalls to changing permissions and locations and cannot get either to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Craig

jamiekets

Posted: 31 October 2009 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote jamiekets

Hi Craig,

I can't comment on the CCTV component, but I have the Media Center gui running on W7 64bit and for me, it works fine. The only slight issue is that it appears in the Extras section and not on it's menu yet.

Other than installing 64bit SQL Express first, pretty much everything else was installed with defaults. I did have an issue with the CM12U controller via USB, but it works fine using the Serial connection.

Does the Harmony gui work for you?

I am using 64bit Windows 7 home premium (retail) by the way and it was a recent clean install.

Jamie.
Back to Top View jamiekets's Profile Search for other posts by jamiekets

RalfyM

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

Jamie,
    Thanks for the reply.  I definitely cannot get the MCE client link to appear.  The install seems to run but then nothing.

Harmony itself runs fine.  The important one is CCTV server at the moment, but this refuses to show the dialog to add a camera.  Everything worked fine under 32bit W7 RC.

Rob, have you tried any of this yourself, please?

Regards,

Craig.

RalfyM

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

So the install.vbs points to %Programfiles% and not to my install dir.  Anyway this gets the plugin registered in MCE.  However when trying to start Harmony MCE the message "Unable to Launch Application" appears.  The plugin still does not start.  Nothing is shown in any Windows log.  I can find no other logs.

Regards,

Craig

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Both CCTV Server and the MCE Application are 32 bit - I'm surprised either work on 64 bit version of Windows 7!

Jamie - was it really as simple as installing Sql 64, then following normal Harmony and Harmony Vista MCE installation? :s

I've *not* had this working on win7 64 VMs.

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

jamiekets

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote jamiekets

Yes as far as I can remember. As I mentioned in another post, I don't think I had SQL Express installed correctly at first, as you need to have the user instances option enabled on the install, which I think may be the default option anyway.

After that I just ran the main Harmony 2007 setup.exe, which installed all of the other components. I then manually copied across my config from my old Vista 32 bit set up. I also used Windows Easy Transfer to copy my settings across from Vista.

Once I had sorted out the CM12U controller issue, the Harmony GUI and W7 Media Center interface both worked straight away.
Back to Top View jamiekets's Profile Search for other posts by jamiekets

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 02 November 2009 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Thanks again for the info Jamie.

I'll be rebuilding my VM, and sourcing hardware to have another look at it. If the MCE interface doesn't need a rewrite for Win7 64, then that's about 5 days of spare dev time :-D

Cheers,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

RalfyM

Posted: 22 November 2009 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

Rob,
   Any update on this please? While I appreciate Jamie got this working on his machine I have been unable to and with no logging I cannot give you any more information.

Regards,

Craig

RalfyM

Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

OK, finally got some log information.  I think it's because the install path is c:\Program Files (x86) and %ProgramFiles% does not include the x86 folder.

Exception Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.Infrastructure.InvalidAddInExc eption: Unable to load invalid add-in HarmonyMCE.HMCEAddIn,HarmonyMCE,Version=6.0.6000.0,PublicKey Token=8fbab769dab875f6,Culture=Neutral

at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityPlugInEntryPointInfo. ExtensibilityPlugInLaunchInfo.LoadAddIn()
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityPlugInEntryPointInfo. Launch(Object& objState)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityEntryPoint.Launch(Pag eBasedUCPService ucp, Object objMediaContext, Object[] entryPointParameters, String altPageUrl, ExtensibilityAutomation& exautoUsed)

InnerException System.ArgumentException: Unable to load assembly: HarmonyMCE,Version=6.0.6000.0,PublicKeyToken=8fbab769dab875f 6,Culture=Neutral
Parameter name: fullName

Server stack trace:
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.RemoteTypeLoader.CreateInstance(St ring fullName, Assembly& asm)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.AddInLoader.CreateInstance(String fullName)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.Message.Dispatch(Object target, Boolean fExecuteInContext)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProce ssMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessag e(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.AddInLoader.CreateInstance(String fullName)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateP rocessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProce ssMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

Exception rethrown at [1]:
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessag e(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(Mess ageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.Infrastructure.IRemoteTypeLoad er.CreateInstance(String fullName)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityPlugInEntryPointInfo. ExtensibilityPlugInLaunchInfo.LoadAddIn()

InnerException System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'HarmonyMCE, Version=6.0.6000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8fbab769dab875f6' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
   at MediaCenter.Extensibility.RemoteTypeLoader.LoadAssembly(Stri ng assemblyName, Exception& loadException)

Gareth
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Gareth

Craig

I had the same problem as you with it only appearing in the extra's section and throwing an error when launching.

I got it working using the following registry entry. If you paste it all into notepad. Save with a .reg extension, then right click on the file install.

It still errors from extra's but I can run it from the main menu.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Categories\Start Menu\{D98E3374-E416-11DA-9B41-B622A1EF5492}]
"Title"="Harmony"
"AppId"="{1add039b-8a3b-4748-852a-41419ca99264}"
"imageURL"="C:\\Program Files\\Domia\\Harmony 2007\\HarmonyMCEVista\\harmony_icon.gif"
"AddIn"="HarmonyMCE.HMCEAddIn,HarmonyMCE,Version=7.0.0.0,Pub licKeyToken=8fbab769dab875f6,Culture=Neutral"
Back to Top View Gareth's Profile Search for other posts by Gareth

RalfyM

Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:52am | IP Logged Quote RalfyM

Sorry for so many posts one after another, but thought I should say I've fixed this.  Once I re-read the error it was clear the missing file was the HarmonyMCE.dll in C:\Windows\Assembly.  But this was weird because installed in assembly was version 7.0.0.0 but the install (MCE) xml wanted 6.0.6000.0.  Why?  I don't know.  The public key tokens were exactly the same.  Changing the xml and re-installing to MCE fixed the problem.

Regards,

Craig

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 November 2009 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Craig,

No apologies needed - good to get the info "out there". Great to hear you've got it working!

I'll be rebuilding my MCE box over the weekend (from late Release Candidate to RTM build). "Production" Harmony and CCTV will also be on there.

(Yes, I have "Production" systems at home, those that when down, I get moaned at! Also have Dev and Testing, yet to go as far as a staging environment).

I'll report any issues I come across.

Thanks,

Rob

Annie

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Annie

I used Gareth's solution with success on Win7 X64. I can now invoke Harmony with it's own start menu strip in Media Center's start menu. On my other PC, running Win7 X86, I did not have to do anything, a start menu strip was visible directly after installing. What goes wrong in BOTH versions of Win7, is invoking Harmony with the icon in the "Extra's" menu. That results in the error mentioned before.

Regards, Annie

Edited by Annie on 16 May 2010 at 2:50pm
Back to Top View Annie's Profile Search for other posts by Annie

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote 

I've just managed to get it working on my new Win7 64bit pc using a variation on Gareths registry script:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Categories\Start Menu\{D98E3374-E416-11DA-9B41-B622A1EF5492}] "Title"="Harmony" "AppId"="{1add039b-8a3b-4748-852a-41419ca99264}" "imageURL"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Domia\\Harmony 2007\\HarmonyMCEVista\\harmony_icon.gif" "AddIn"="HarmonyMCE.HMCEAddIn,HarmonyMCE,Version=7.0.0.0,Pub licKeyToken=8fbab769dab875f6,Culture=Neutral"

There are two changes here:
1. I have added (x86) to the image URL path, as that is where the Domia files are on this pc. The icon in MCE was not visible without this change.
2. I have removed the space in the word public Pub licKeyToken. The registry change did not work without this being changed to PublicKeyToken .

Sorted !

Posted: 02 July 2010 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hmm, posting that registry key above has put the space back in the word "public" that I had taken out. If you try this, please remove it while in Notepad. Very odd ! At least I know why it worked for Gareth now

UkSki

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote UkSki

I managed to get the interface working under Windows 7 64 using Homers version of Gareths Registry script, Thanks for your work on it guys!

Would it be good for the "newbies" to have the .reg file as a downloadable file?

The space in the word public - and having to reformat it onto seperate lines foxed me for a while,

As did needing to add the "registry editor" header from the previous post,

Edited by UkSki on 29 April 2012 at 7:21pm
Back to Top View UkSki's Profile Search for other posts by UkSki

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 April 2012 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Sure, I'll post it in the downloads section - good idea.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version