Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 Harmony : Projects
Subject Topic: Working on anything? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 June 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

"interrogate mode" == read back the status of a device?

If so, I'm afraid that's a limit of the hardware. X10 devices can't be polled for their status (at least, I've never come across any that can) - one simply has to assume the command got through, or send the command multiple times in the hope of one getting through.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself - - the events seem "sound" - in theory at least, and based on what you've written.

If you were running C-Bus, Harmony would always show the TRUE status of the device, not its own world-view. But - the extra functionality comes at significantly greater cost - and all components have to be on a BUS - hardwired :s

The same is true of Enistic Sockets - they, too, report their status every x seconds. (where x is between 1 and 1200 or so).

N.B. Harmony Enistic Component does not yet exist!!
I have, however, completely decoded the protocol, can control devices and read their status, all in C# Code. This was done for a desktop application (nothing to due with Harmony) - but the functions can be copy n pasted into a "Generic Harmony Component", making it a quick project to turn around.

Hope that's of some interest,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

djcolling

Posted: 14 June 2010 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote djcolling

I believe that there are several devices that can be interrogated for their status, not least the TMA4 which I am using, see:-

http://www.intellihome.be/catalog/nederlands/IH5510.pdf

I have assumed that two way communoication means that it will respond to the status command, as do

http://www.letsautomate.com/10853.cfm?CFID=1759976&CFTOK EN=3df5759-e9d6505b-6b3f-4910-a174-8bb74bd16863

and

http://www.letsautomate.com/12811.cfm?CFID=1759976&CFTOK EN=3df5759-e9d6505b-6b3f-4910-a174-8bb74bd16863

I have suggested before that the sending of a status command from Harmony would be a mighty useful addition to the functionality.

You did ask " In an ideal world..."

Edited by djcolling on 14 June 2010 at 2:51pm
Back to Top View djcolling's Profile Search for other posts by djcolling

Online Status: Online
Posted: 14 June 2010 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hmm, food for thought........
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

chris2172

Posted: 15 June 2010 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote chris2172

Being new to all this, so far I have Harmony turning on my underwater lights in my fishtank at 8AM where my fish automaticly start to swim to the front of the tank waiting for my 20 month old daughter to drop some food in there for them.

Then at 10PM Harmony turn off my underwater lights and my fish go to sleep.

I also have a lamp sat next to me connected to a applience module that I have to search all round the house to find the Easytough 35 that my above mentioned daughter thinks is a mobile phone.

So far this automation stuff is making my life hell, but I will stick with it and when I have some more stuff things will get easyer (I Hope)

Regards

Chris
Back to Top View chris2172's Profile Search for other posts by chris2172

Posted: 15 June 2010 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Chris,

Well it does indeed. I have Harmony turn on our bedside lamps 2 minutes after the alarm (05:45) and after a further two minutes, it turns on the top light and turns off the bedside lamps.

They can also be switched with the rf controllers, and by the switches on the devices. Since these X10 devices are the newer type, they start at the dim setting they used the last time they were on, and do a slow ON and OFF. That combines to make it attractive to the Missus, so I can buy more bits   

Hmm, Harmony 1-wire fish tank temperature monitor eh ?

chris2172

Posted: 15 June 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote chris2172

Hi Homer,
So is the 1-wire submersable?

I have just ordered some of the newer X10 stuff from ebay kevinlo_hk after reading some comments in this forum.

Any updates on the Beta testing start date?

Chris

Back to Top View chris2172's Profile Search for other posts by chris2172

Posted: 15 June 2010 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Chris,

Submersible ? That depends on how you protect your 1-wire devices. You can make your own, or buy them ready made. Take a look at this temperature probe.

Beta test: We are rounding up a few stragglers, will post soon about it.

Posted: 15 June 2010 at 6:01pm | IP Logged Quote 

Ooh, 18:00, my scent plugs (3 off around the house) just turned OFF

P.S. Most home made 1-wire probes are much cheaper than that !

Edited by Homer on 15 June 2010 at 6:10pm

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 June 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

I think Homer has covered Chris's questions.

Homer - to make them waterproof - what you think of adding "something" to the end of the device, and then Heat-Shrinking that over the previous layers, to make it waterproof. It will make "Waterproof Sensors" more expensive, but there seems to be some interest already

Question is - what is the "something". Must be waterproof, must be very resposive to Thermal changes etc. I can't think of anything of the top of my head - - but presume it would be metalic tubing of some description, with an appropriate "blockage" at the exposed end.

What would happen if you cover the sensor and a bit of sleeving with Epoxy / similar. Stop laughing! you know I'm Digital only

djcolling - Very interesting - thanks. I'll have to beg / borrow one / two of each of LetsAutomate, If they're feeling generous!! As I've no funds for X10/S10 development. It may only be £100 for both - but that's £100 more than I have spare. If any of you have spares you're prepared to lend to me (for quite a long time - easily 6months - whilst I get scheduled Betas and Harmony 7 out the door!)- it would be much apprecisated - drop me an email, or post on here. I'm not making *any* promises - other than "I'll have a look, and do my best". I've also got a CM15PRo - (on loan - thanks - you know who you are, but I don't know if I should mention you) -- have had it some time, but made very little progress with it - - and have to wonder if there's any need/desire for X10 support....Could be time for a what're you using Topic! - - - please don't reply to this one - I'll create a seperate topic.

Thanks

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Posted: 16 June 2010 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Rob,

I think the link in my last post gives it away for the submersible probe. A long tube, and the sensor is glued in with thermally conductive glue - probably cpu cement of some kind. After that it is a matter of filling the tube with something waterproof - some liquid that sets ? Can't think of anything right now (Too early A.M. !).

I will fully answer your what are you using topic later - I don't have time to elaborate now.

djcolling

Posted: 17 June 2010 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote djcolling

Repacement AD10 has arrived, been fitted and all is working again. See description above.

I opened the defunct one and sure enough there is evidence of electrical overheating on one of the solenoids that drives the relay. Not sure that it explains all of the symptoms.

Rob, would you still like to see it?

Edited by djcolling on 17 June 2010 at 7:57am
Back to Top View djcolling's Profile Search for other posts by djcolling

Posted: 08 October 2010 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Dj,

Can you give more details of the repeated X10 output of the SC2800 ? I'm just wondering if you can use flags and prerequisites like I do to prevent new PIR triggers re-triggering my Harmony CCTV while it is already recording. The flags (i.e. an unused X10 address) and prerequisites stopped me getting 3 and four second videos due to the re-triggering from moving objects. The videos are always 60 seconds now

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version