Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ByeByeStandby Component
 Harmony : ByeByeStandby Component
Subject Topic: Harmony-BBSB Component Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
StephenN

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 December 2008 at 2:31pm | IP Logged Quote StephenN

Hi,

Re startup delayer - no it doesn't do services. (don't know if they can be delayed - wouldn't this sort of defeat the point of them being services?) It will handle programmes in the startup folder, as well as the registry ( local machine & current user). Can a service be started by a script, which could be placed in the startup forlder and delayed if necessary?

Back to Top View StephenN's Profile Search for other posts by StephenN

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Hi,

re:Services - in Vista, theres an option of "delayed start" - it's basically a tweak to ensure that dependencies come up in the correct order, rather than fighting for resources and slowing things down.

A service can be started with a script / batch file - "net start service name" - - so I guess that's a 3rd option if it's needed.

Thanks for the info,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 December 2008 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote 

WinXP Pro can use the "dependencies" within a service to ensure they start up in the correct sequence. I have previously used this with Harmony, but now, since I have a new pc for general use, and have re-installed WinXP on the old Harmony pc, I just let it get on with it
Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 December 2008 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Homer - you're correct - in that Harmony registers a dependency on SQLExpress, which in turn has a dependency on (other things)....the problem arises when lots of things are trying to start (at boot time) - and the dependencies get "tangled" for want of a better word - something has to back off and wait in order to resolve the deadlock, but this can take some time to sort itself out, which shows itself as slow boot time.

with delayed start of some services, you're essentially saying "hey, I can wait - you lot get up and running then I'll come and play" :)

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

jemhayward
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote jemhayward

Is there any hope of a service version of this component, or even a command line version as my vista box seems to restart itself when updating, and although the component starts - its in the startup folder - it doesn't seem to get the commands through to the interface unit, so we wake up in the morning to cold towels and dead coffee machine - its making me unpopular!
Back to Top View jemhayward's Profile Search for other posts by jemhayward

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Entirely possible - but nothing on the cards just yet. I'll speak with the powers-that-be at ByeByeStandby to see if they're willing to fund the project (i.e. pay for my time to do so).

Will report back,

Rob

cmsdloma

Posted: 08 July 2009 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote cmsdloma

Desperately need a Service version of the BBSB component
please. Launching it manually is noddy!   

Edited by cmsdloma on 08 July 2009 at 10:48pm
Back to Top View cmsdloma's Profile Search for other posts by cmsdloma Visit cmsdloma's Homepage

Posted: 08 October 2009 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote 

Do you launch it in All Programs - Start-Up ? There is no need for manual starting. If I've got the wrong end of the stick, then I agree that running it as a service should be better.

Automan

Posted: 03 March 2011 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Automan

Does the same set-up procedure apply for a controller on
V2.9?

Automan.
Back to Top View Automan's Profile Search for other posts by Automan Visit Automan's Homepage

Posted: 04 March 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Automan,

The Harmony component (available free from http://www.domialifestyle.com/Downloads.asp) allows Harmony to take control of the V2 BBS controller instead of online.domia.eu, and yes, it is the same with firmware V2.9

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version