Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
ByeByeStandby Component
 Harmony : ByeByeStandby Component
Subject Topic: Harmony-BBSB Component Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 December 2008 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Please use this section to discuss the newly released Harmony ByeByeStandby Component.

As you can probably guess, this is the software that allows Harmony to communicate with Version 2 (Firmware V2.7+) Online Controllers.

It's bidirectional - that is - RF commands sent from remote controls will update Harmony (and trigger any Events you've defined - be they X10, Cbus, any of the other components). Similarly, Harmony can instruct the controller to issue an RF command to a ByeByeStandby Smart Socket.

Please create a new topic with a clear and concise subject line to begin the discussion.

Thanks,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

gordon217

Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote gordon217

While I am asking you for some help, after installing Harmony 2007 Pro, my Vista PC takes much longer to boot, about 8min more, it is a fast Quad Core Machine with 4GB or RAM so not slow, when I remove Harmony Issue goes away, any reason ?

Back to Top View gordon217's Profile Search for other posts by gordon217

gordon217

Posted: 10 December 2008 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote gordon217

ByeBye Standbye is great can get it online, but not speaking to the Harmony 2007 Client.Can anyone see why it is not connecting to the Harmony Local Setup on my pc with address, 192.168.1.201

Cannot wait to get system setup, I have 24 Plugs, one ceiling dimmer, 2 remotes and two motion sensors to setup.

Started Logging on Port 53007

BBSEM [000C49 192.168.1.201]: Timeout:TCP connection

BBSEM [000C49 192.168.1.201]: Closing socket

BBSEM [000C49 192.168.1.201]: Resolving server address: 192.168.1.70

BBSEM [000C49 192.168.1.201]: Connecting to 192.168.1.70 (53006)

Stopped Logging on Port 53007

Online Status: Online
Posted: 10 December 2008 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Gordon217,

Welcome to the Harmony forum

Please open new threads for different questions, it makes it much easier for everybody to follow !

I believe Rob is off sick with the flu at the moment, but he may post inbetween bouts of exhaustion 

I guess you now have V2.8 as explained in the BBSB forum. If you are using Robs BBSB Harmony component, are you:

1. Pressing the button on the V2
2. Pressing the "Harmony" button on the component within 10 seconds

If so, what happens to the leds ? On mine, they stop flashing as soon as I press the "Harmony" button (much better visual feedback than V2.7) and after 20 seconds the left hand led lights up. This will only happen if Harmony is already running in the background.

Please describe what you are seeing.

As for lengthened boot up times, I suffer from that with my Harmony pc, but that is an old XP3000 Athlon. It sounds like a bit of selective start up machinations are required to fully understand that one on such a fast pc !

Back to Top View 's Profile Search for other posts by 

StephenN

Posted: 10 December 2008 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote StephenN

Hi,

two comments - don't know if they'll help.

try turning your firewall off to see if that is the problem

have a look at a program called startup delayer - it allow you to defer the startup of "slow" software so that the rest of the PC can get running normally

Back to Top View StephenN's Profile Search for other posts by StephenN

gordon217

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote gordon217

Hi Stephen,

I turned off onecare, then it connected once, turned back on firewall, would not connect, now when I turn it of will not connect ? Strange, would you know the settings to make sure there is a constant connection.

Also the Window Vista Update last night has fixed the error of slow boot.

Startup delayer is also a cool program.

StephenN

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote StephenN

Hi,

Sorry, I don't know anything about onecare. I know that sometimnes there are problems because the computer cannot connect to the online controller because the firewall is not letting messages through. Turning off the firewall (temporarily) shows if this is a problem.

I'm afraid I'm running XP, so I can't offer any help about your Vista setup. Hopefully Rob will be back soon.

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Hi,

Not sure that "onecare" would be involved - perhaps it "lightened the load" sufficiently for everything else to work.

When I've experienced this in the past (2nd Hand), the resolution has been to set Harmony Service(s) to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" on Vista (the option isn't available on XP).

I *believe* the problem is to do with the order that Networking, SQL Express, and Harmony start up - - Network needs to come up for SQL to use TCP Sockets, and Harmony in turn needs SQL + networking in order to run. By setting Harmony to "delayed start", everything (to date) works well.

It may/may not be relevant - but the majority, if not all of the instances of this have involved Wireless networks - which tend to load additional software (for selecting SSID etc) - some of which are better behaved than others.

Please let us know if this solves the problem.

Thanks,

Rob
Back to Top View Rob Iles's Profile Search for other posts by Rob Iles Visit Rob Iles's Homepage

StephenN

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote StephenN

For anyone that is running XP, Startup Delayer allows you to order the startup of the various components and introduce delays etc between them to ensure everything gets going properly.

StephenN

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

StephenN - does it control Services too? (it's not clear from the brief doc I read)

Thanks

gordon217

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote gordon217

Hi Rob,

Already set yo delayed start ? Not helping, just will not connect.

Regards

Gordon

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Gordon,

Sorry - think we may have been talking at crossed purposes - - the delayed start of Harmony Core and other Harmony services *should* fix any issues relating to slow boot times - - totally separate to Harmony + BBSB Component.

Assuming your Harmony PC (the one running Core) is on 192.168.1.70, then the log extract looks good.

Possibly a daft question - but do you have the Harmony BBSB Component running? (It's not just there to configure the controller - it needs to stay running in order for the controller to talk to Harmony).

.....Does that make sense?

Rob

gordon217

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:27pm | IP Logged Quote gordon217

Hi Rob,

I totally missed that, working now, thought you only had to run that once. Is there a way to intergrate with the Harmony Client or is that in the pipeline.

Thanks for your help.

Gordon

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote 

Gordon, the only reason I ask all my questions, is because I fall down all the holes to find out how things can fail  . For example I was closing the BBSB component window thinking it had done its stuff, then complaining to Rob that it didn't work properly. Luckily with a name like Homer, I can say "Doh !!!" when the truth comes out.

So, are you using this, and keeping its window open as long as Harmony is in use ?:

Edited by Homer on 11 December 2008 at 9:58pm

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote 

Geez, did it really take me that long to get that piccie online ? My response was supposed to be just after Rob's, but you've already answered !

Note to self: Keep screengrabber, Harmony and FTP on same pc

Edited by Homer on 11 December 2008 at 9:57pm

gordon217

Posted: 11 December 2008 at 10:45pm | IP Logged Quote gordon217

Hi Homer,

Thanks for you help, is there a way to run Harmony-BBSB as a low level service so if you forget it is still there ?

Regards

Gordon

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote 

Hi Gordon,

I don't believe so, but you could stick it in the "Startup" folder so it's started every time you boot the pc up. If you don't power cycle the V2, it will remain in the same state (i.e. Harmony in our cases), so then just starting the Harmony pc would get the Harmony-BBSB interface working (You would see both V2 leds light up as confirmation).

If however you have power cycled the V2, you will need to set it up for Harmony again, by carrying out the V2 button - Harmony-BBSB interface button routine.

Let Rob know if you still prefer it as a service

Gareth
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote Gareth

Could any one confirm if the only time the V2 needs to be set up again for harmony if the V2 is rebooted?

Some how I managed to completely screw up my events a number of times getting them in loops which kept downing the core harmony service.

I didn't manage to completely work out the process to get it back up and running without setting up the whole thing again including V2. Should it have been just restarting the service and making sure the BBSB interface was running.

I've stopped fiddling for the momment and it all seems pretty stable now though.

My harmony server is headless, the only way I access it is through RDP, is this similar for others? As such it's possible for me to logoff or have multiple sessions open and accidentally stop the BBSB interface. It's only been an issue once, I learnt my lesson!

A service would get round this issue, but 2 weeks in may be need to give it a little more time to see how I get on

Back to Top View Gareth's Profile Search for other posts by Gareth

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote 

I can confirm that the only time the V2 needs to be set up again is if it is rebooted.

My Harmony pc (XP3000 Athlon running XP Pro) now has  (5 minutes after the above posts !!) the Harmony-BBSB component in "Startup" as mentioned above. Rebooting the pc, but leaving the V2 alone, allows instant access to the BBSB devices without setting up again.

Rob Iles
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 December 2008 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote Rob Iles

Just to add to the above, Controllers running firmware 2.8Alpha will stay in whichever mode you set them (Harmony / Online) across resets :)

As Homer correctly point out, "V2" controllers, with firmware 2.7 (The default firmware, shipped on new/current V2 devices) DOES have to be "paired" with Harmony after it (the controller) has been powered down.

*BEFORE* you all rush off to upgrade to 2.8a, I must warn you that there are other some issues with 2.8a - and being an alpha release, it's not guaranteed to be stable, unlike 2.7 ---- In short, if 2.7 is working for you, and you can live with re-pairing it after a power outage, I'd recommend sticking with 2.7 for now - - and maybe consider upgrading (flashing newer firmware at home) when 2.8 is Release, rather than Alpha.

Rob

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version